From today, developers can upload to, download from, and process files in any DigitalOcean Space.
Upload's expanding suite of file uploading and file processing capabilities – which includes our Upload Widget, Upload API, Image Processing API, and dual-cache CDN – can now be enjoyed by DigitalOcean Spaces customers, in addition to AWS S3 customers.
This feature is available on the Upload Plus Plan and above, please see: Upload Pricing »
For setup instructions, please see: Configuring a DigitalOcean Space in Upload »
To use this feature:
- Login to the Upload Dashboard
- Edit a folder's storage settings
- Select "DigitalOcean Spaces" as the storage type
- Fill out the requested form fields (space region, space name, etc.)
- Follow the CORS instructions at the bottom of the form
What is DigitalOcean Spaces?
DigitalOcean Spaces is a storage service offered by DigitalOcean – a popular cloud service provider – which is compatible with AWS S3's API.
Why use DigitalOcean Spaces?
Some developers prefer to use DigitalOcean Spaces over AWS S3 as the service currently offers cheaper rates on both storage and bandwidth.
Price differences between AWS S3 and DigitalOcean Spaces:
DigitalOcean Spaces offers a $5.00 base-rate plan that includes 250 GB of storage (at $0.02 per additional GB) and 1TB of outbound bandwidth (at $0.01 per additional GB).
AWS offers a free tier that includes 5 GB of storage (at $0.023 per additional GB*) and 100GB of outbound bandwidth (at $0.09 per additional GB*). AWS also charges per 1000 HTTP requests (PUT, GET, etc.) whereas DigitalOcean Spaces does not.
Ingress data transfer (i.e. file upload bandwidth) is free for both services.
* AWS offers tiered pricing, meaning your price per unit decreases as your usage increases. However, at the time of writing DigitalOcean Spaces is still currently cheaper than AWS S3's cheapest pricing tiers.
As with all products and services, there are more factors to consider than cost alone.
The correct choice between AWS S3 and DigitalOcean Spaces is entirely down to your organization's requirements, team structure, and budget.
The great news is that starting today, Upload supports both!